Thursday, May 27, 2010

One Year Bible, May 27

2 SAMUEL 12:1-31                                                                                                            
DAVID'S CONSEQUENCES: (1) perpetual conflict; (2) evil from his own house; (3) he would be publicly disgraced.  David wrote Psalm 32 and 51 at this time.  His deed gave opportunity to the enemy to blaspheme God (12:14). David lost four sons because of his sin. BUT, Psalm 103 shows that God met David that day!

DAVID'S RESTORATION: (12:20) (1) He arose from the earth (stopped looking at his failure and his FLESH.) (2) He washed and anointed himself (took his thoughts captive to God). (3) Changed his apparel (began acting like a King again). (4) Came into God's Presence and worshipped (got his groove on). (5) He ate (in celebration that the fasting was over; he could rejoice now.) (6) (12:30) He took the enemy's crown!  It came off the head of Molech, their chief demon, weighed about 80 pounds of gold and precious stones.

RESPONSE:   Don't mess with God. And don't mess with God's anointed either! Even though it was David's sin, his whole family suffered.  No one sins to himself alone.  The degree to which it affects those around you, depends on how closely associated they are - but ALL will suffer. He actually caused their deaths.  In spite of his lavish adoration of God, David found it virtually impossible to love others in a productive, enduring way.  He never totally gave himself to A woman - he had several.  Yet, David personally was totally restored. WHY?  He knew how to repent and cling to God for his help.  He had a lot of issues with anger and lust, but over it all, he wanted God's Presence in his life.   If we fall, we should fall TOWARD God - He will lift us up if we repent.

JOHN 16:1-33                                                                                                                   
CHAPTERS 13-17: HOW TO LIVE IN RELATIONSHIP TO GOD

Chapter 13: A NEW COMMANDMENT: "LOVE one another as I have loved you."

Chapter 14: A NEW PEACE: "My peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you."

Chapter 15: A NEW LIFE OF DEPENDENCY: "without Me you can do nothing."

Chapter 16: A NEW JOY: (v.22) "your joy no man takes from you." Joy is an outcome of the love and peace. I read somewhere once that joy is peace, dancing.  Actually joy is a characteristic of the Kingdom of God (Rom 14:17) and a work of the Holy Spirit (our Comforter). We may sorrow because of personal loss, but "your sorrow shall be turned to joy."   "As sorrowful, yet always rejoicing;" (2 Cor 6:10)  ALL our sorrows are temporary! Jesus has given us access to the Father and that makes our joy FULL, complete in every way.   We ask for power for victory over the HATING WORLD, and God will give it to you so your joy continues to be full. (v.22-24)  The devil is cast out of heaven, and Jesus has overcome the world.  All the world can do is "pressure" (tribulate) us.  So, as Jesus said, "CHEER UP!"

"THE PRINCE OF THIS WORLD STANDS CONDEMNED." Actually if Satan is NOT judged and condemned, then he is not REALLY under our feet, and we can only wage war on him if we don't sin - because otherwise he could still accuse us in heaven. HOWEVER, heaven has already been cleansed of Satan's presence (Rev 12:7-8; Luke 10:18) and his sentence passed.

RESPONSE:  The only real problem I have is ME.  And I have the Holy Spirit, the Word of God, and His purging circumstances to take care of that problem! I have access to the Father, Who LOVES me because I believe in Jesus. What a wonderful life! All my sorrows are temporary!

PSALM 119:65-80                                                                                                               
TETH V. 65-72: Teth means serpent, referring to the force of the serpent Moses lifted up for healing.  It is the symbol for inherent power (Gr: dunamis, Heb: chayil). This section of Psalm 119 actually shows us that GOD "causes all things to work together for good..." even the hard things in life. The word "GOOD" begins with teth. God's goodness teaches us "good judgment," whatever that takes! "Before I was afflicted, I went astray". (Afflicted=chastened, humbled) "It is a GOOD thing for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn Thy statutes."


YOD V. 73-80: Yod is a closed hand or fist, and the number 10. These 8 verses are about growth through hardship coming from God.   God humbles, but He also exalts. God's judgments are the declaration of God's will. They are the right order for things.  I want my heart to be "SOUND" so I won't have to be embarrassed. "Sound" means whole, unimpaired, having integrity, not deceived, but completely in accord with Truth and fact.  So, "in Your faithfulness, afflict me." I don't want to live according to self-deceptions.

PROVERBS 16:4-5                                                                                                            
GOD'S SOVEREIGNTY
I guess the question is, "Who is in charge?"  "I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things." (Isa 45:7)  Now we have two witnesses to this truth: God creates evil.  What is really interesting is that God USES evil people and evil situations for His own purposes. There is not one single thing outside God's control.  But He has CHOSEN to give us freedom and to allow us to participate in His work and to influence Him in prayer. God hates pride because it makes us independent. Joining forces against Him won't help you either.

RESPONSE:  Here is Job's experience with God: "God has turned me over to evil men and thrown me into the clutches of the wicked. All was well with me, but he shattered me; he seized me by the neck and crushed me. He has made me his target; his archers surround me. Without pity, he pierces my kidneys and spills my gall on the ground. Again and again he bursts upon me; he rushes at me like a warrior." (Job 16:11-14) WHY? That's what Job wanted to know!  God even called Job the "most righteous man that lived".  And even though God never told Job this, God was showing Job off to the principalities and powers in heavenly places.  God was so sure that Job would "keep the faith", that He dared to let the devil test him.  I know that at other times, God used evil to wipe whole countries off the map! Judas was evil, but God USED him to accomplish His own ends.  There is no lack of examples in the Bible.  But the fact remains, God is in charge.

No comments:

Post a Comment