Saturday, March 6, 2010

One Year Bible, March 6


NUMBERS 6:1-7:89
Nazarites: A type of a true Believer whose desire is to give God pleasure. Whose desire is to live "the Life" in God's Presence and by His Presence. These Nazarites were male or female, who voluntarily separated themselves to God for a set period of time.  During that time, they abstained from wine, which is a symbol of abstaining from natural pleasures, a fasted lifestyle. During the days of the vow, he grew long hair which was a sign of rejection. They were never to come near a dead body, not even a close relative (holiness and cleanness are characteristics of "the Life" that Jesus came to give us (Jn 10:10). Heb 7:26 describes the fulfillment of the type in Jesus, "For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens;"

Priestly blessing of a cleansed and separated people: Num 6:22-27.

Numbers chapters 7-10 is preparation for leaving Mt. Sinai: Twelve princes bring 12 identical offerings. The Sons of Kohath were not given oxen and wagons because they had to carry the implements of the Holy of Holies on their shoulders - personal and intimate.

RESPONSE:   Paul was probably a Nazarite, as were Samson, Samuel, and John the Baptist. Their relationship to God was personal and intimate. The main principle of being a Nazarite was SEPARATION. I believe this is the narrow road Jesus talked about. The closer you get to the Lord, the narrower the road - the more fasted the lifestyle. Separated means "distinctive", not isolated. If we live for the Lord, we should look different than everybody else - and live different, too.

MARK 12:38-13:13
There was such a contrast between the very public "ministry" of the scribes and the very private and personal "ministry" of the widow, that Jesus called it to our attention.

Olivet Discourse Warnings: The inner circle is being given remarkable warnings: "Don't be deceived". And yet, more people are deceived about this discourse than about anything else in Scripture!   Mark 13 can actually be dated by verse 30 where Jesus said that that particular generation would not pass until all these things are fulfilled. The invasion of Jerusalem and the Temple by the Romans under Titus, in 70 AD, finished off the Jewish rebellion and fulfilled this chapter of Scripture. It is said that the Temple Mount actually boiled in fire, melting down the gold so it could be scraped off the rocks. Josephus claims that 1,100,000 people were killed during the siege, of which a majority were Jewish, and that 97,000 were captured and enslaved. Contemporary historians have declared this appalling wretchedness to be unequalled in its bloody judgment - with blood actually running down the Temple mount. It signaled the end of the Jewish nation and the Jewish religion. Matt 24:28 describes the Jewish nation as a rotting carcass where birds of prey would gather. All of this was orchestrated by Jesus from heaven.

RESPONSE:    I don't want to be deceived.  I want the Scripture to mean just what it says. I don't need a bunch of "experts" to tell me what Jesus meant. Why not let the Bible speak for itself? Jesus, I trust You to let me know if I need to change my course. Increase my faith as I walk with You. Let me be ready for anything because I know You are with me.

PSALM 49:1-20
The Vanity of Riches: Self-sufficiency is deceptive. Money is a poor substitute for God. It won't go into eternity with you and in the resurrection the righteous will rule over you. There is one thing that wealth cannot do: it can't help man escape death. "BUT God will redeem my soul from the power of the grave..." (v.15) "Riches without understanding" are beastly, because that person is no different than an animal without God.

PROVERBS 10:27-28
The "fear of God", which makes us contented and satisfied in God, is truly the right way to longevity and joyful expectation. Wickedness shortens men's lives, and frustrates their hopes.

RESPONSE:   Understanding is not obtained intellectually, but in obedience to God. Everything begins and ends with God. Anything else is on a shaky foundation and can't last. Sometimes I think people want more money so that they don't have to "live by faith". Maybe that's why it is so hard for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God. They can become self-sufficient.   Keep your focus.   I can't find anywhere that God says it is okay to pray for money - but He does tell us to diligently and relentlessly pursue wisdom and understanding and the Kingdom of God and His righteousness. So I guess that's what I will do. My energy is put into "staying in the vine" (John 15) or staying connected with the Lord. He is my Source - and He is my sufficiency. When I got Him, I got everything I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment